The new oral format includes a reading passage and a stimulus based conversation. Schools may use 4 pictures of various themes that will interest a student of that age. E.g. 4 different types of games/ gifts. Or an advertisement featuring children’s toys or stationery.
Questions such as Which of these games do you like to play? or Which of these gifts would you buy for your best friend?
Points to remember :
1) This is a conversation. Giving a speech is not required but neither is one sentence answers.
2) Make eye contact with the examiner.
3) Be prepared for other questions as this is a conversation.
I tell my students to follow this pattern
- 1) Eye contact
- 2) Which one you would choose
- 3) Brief description of it
- 4) Why
- 5) Why not the others
Then be prepared for other questions, maintaining eye contact.
Parents may use advertisements from magazines such as Popular and form your own questions to prepare your children. The aim is to make them as comfortable as possible to respond well. Oh, don’t forget to practice the Reading Component as well, focusing on Diction/ Intonation/ Different tone of voice for narration and dialogue.
Primary 3 English tuition class schedule
|Day||Start time||End time|
|Sunday||12.00 pm||2.00 pm|