Hybrid writing technique
In this lesson 4, the learning objectives are:
1. Be familiar with the structure of a hybrid essay
2. Know how to signpost your essay to show you have addressed both genres
What is a hybrid essay?
It refers to combination of 2 genres of writing in 1 essay.
What are the two types of hybrid essay?
Descriptive and reflective (expository)
- Describe some school-wide events that are held in your school. What are some lessons you can learn from them?
- Describe your experience of working with others. How has it helped develop you as an individual and team player?
Personal recount and reflective (expository)
- Write about a conflict you had with a close friend or loved one. What are some lessons you learnt from the experience?
- Write about a time someone inspired you to be courageous. In what ways did this experience grow you as an individual?
How do you organise/structure a hybrid essay?
|BP1: Describe & Reflect|
|BP2: describe & Reflect|
|BP3: Describe & Reflect|
Detailed explanation & hybrid essay example
In the video below, Teacher Rachael gives more details about this technique and shows an hybrid essay example (Option A).
Hybrid writing assignment
If you would like more practice on narrative writing, download the assignment below.
Lower Secondary English tuition class schedule
|Day||Start time||End time|
|Sec 1 - Friday||6.00 pm||8.00 pm|
|Lower Sec - Saturday||4.00 pm||6.00 pm|